Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Poor Substitute

I've been loving this new single and video by Robert Pollard's new band Ricked Wicky. The video is funny and beautiful, with pathos and a nice meta quality. The song is really good too, kind of a hard rocking ballad.


As a music collector, I've been suffering from too long of a wish list -- there are so many albums by so many artists that I want to get (on a budget) that I was feeling overwhelmed. I was also starting to feel that I was somehow missing out on a lot of my favorite artists. So I set myself the goal of spending most of my money on my four favorite active artists: 1. The Beach Boys 2. Will Oldham/Bonnie Prince Billy 3. Robert Pollard/Guided by Voices and 4. Kool Keith.

It's been working out really well so far, though I am still woefully behind. For instance, I haven't purchased ANY of Robert Pollard's 2015 releases (there have been two albums from Ricked Wicky alone). I have made great strides though on catching up on his older releases picking up these GBV albums and EPs so far: Vampire on Titus/Propeller, Sunfish Holyfish Breakfast, The Pipe Dreams of Instant Prince Whippet, Live in Austin, TX, and Normal Happiness (a solo release).

No comments:

Post a Comment