Sunday, June 10, 2012

Clementine Tunes

Before Clementine was born we were aware of "her" song - "Oh My Darling Clementine." When she was born, we sang this version to her, except with alternate, happy lyrics like, "Oh my darling, oh my darling, oh my darling Clementine, you are such a little cutie, how I love you, Clementine." I've previously mentioned discovering the Jan and Dean version of the folk song. We also knew Elliot Smith's original composition "Clementine" both from his version and a cover of him by the Decemberists.

Last night, after finally getting Clementine to sleep around 10:45, we spent nearly half an hour looking up alternate Clementines. I played Allie the Johnny Cash "Clementine" which I had originally discovered earlier in the week, a random by-product of online window shopping for his albums.



We found a lot of great covers of the old folk song last night. Most surprising was the BRAND new Neil Young & Crazy Horse version, from their Americana album which just came out on June 4th.


There was also an original by Pink Martini, much less sad than the popular folk tune.


Will Clementine appreciate all the cultural baggage we've saddled her with? I hope so. Growing up I always wanted to see myself in pop culture but the only Jeremy songs were by Pearl Jam and Three Dog Night ("Jeremiah was a bullfrog") both of which annoyed me to no end. I guess time will tell how she feels. I personally think it's good for her to have a name so tied into our musical tradition.



No comments:

Post a Comment