Thursday, May 31, 2012

Xiu Xiu Live!

Tuesday night I went out with my friend John I. to see one of my favorite modern bands – Xiu Xiu! I took the bus and got there at 10PM in time for the second opening band. Xiu Xiu played a great set, speeding up the tempo on a lot of the songs. Jamie Stewart played tons of guitar. I was especially excited to see them perform New Order/Joy Division's "Ceremony," their recorded version of which is one of my faves. For the encore, they did an amazing, intense cover of "Frankie Teardrop" by Suicide. I had never heard the original until after the next day. It's a great song, but very sad and disturbing. I think it is worth noting that 1 out of every 7 people who have watched the song via youtube do not like it.



John took this photo at the show:



The show was at Doug Fir on 8th and E. Burnside. That's pretty far from our house and I was worried about the trek home. Luckily I was able to catch both of my buses. It took 80 minutes to get home. I made it halfway through George Orwell's Animal Farm during the journey. I spent half an hour sitting outside a Popeye's Chicken on NE 82nd. A shack across the street advertising live nude girls was the only thing open. I got home at 1:45 AM, showered, and climbed into bed with my family at 2:00 AM. It was a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment