Thursday, April 26, 2012

Plus Minus, 4-15-12

I'm starting a new "column" on this blog called Plus Minus, in which I track my efforts to get rid of junk. I'm a collector by nature and have no reservations about this. However, I'm also trying to fight nostalgia for nostalgia's sake, and trying to get our house organized.

The goal is to keep my net amount of possessions from exponentially growing. Therefore, each week I am pushing to increase the minus column. I succeeded for the week ending 4/15/12.

MINUS
1.      SIMPSONS COVER ROLLING STONE
2.      BAZ LUHRMAN DVD
3.      GARDENING BOOK
4.      SMASHING PUMPKINS BOOK
5.      COMIC ANTHOLOGY

PLUS
1.      LL COOL J: BIGGER AND DEFFER CD
2.      ROD STEWART: A NIGHT OUT ON THE TOWN CD
3.      THE BIG RED ONE DVD
4.      EASTER EGG PEZ DISPENSER

I was super-stoked to pick up LL Cool J's second album at Walmart for five bucks. I used to watch the video for "I Need Love" when I was a kid. We didn't have MTV but it played on the local pay-to-play video channel in Sacramento.



Everything about this song rules. What's bad (cheesy 80s synths, LL's sometimes graphics love rhymes) is good. What's good (the beats, LL's earnestness and convincing delivery) is great.

Clementine has one favorite TV show which we let her watch now and then - Yo Gabba Gabba. Allie rightly spotted an homage to LL's song, "I Love Bugs." We've checked out all the YGG CDs from the library which are really quite good--especially for kids music.




No comments:

Post a Comment