Saturday, April 28, 2012

It Worked!

Don't you just love it when you think long and hard on something and actually come up with a solution that works?


About 3 weeks or so ago, we walked up to Starbucks on a nice and sunny Saturday. By now every time Clementine sees us eat or drink something, she needs to eat or drink something too. I was trying to think what in the world would be suitable for her at Starbucks. I semi-remembered seeing a little pouch of organic applesauce there for kids once, but the last time Cleme ate applesauce it wasn't a hit with her. We ordered it for her anyways. We twisted off the little cap and handed her the pouch. Cleme tried it and loved it! Being a breastfed baby has led Cleme to being unable to work a bottle really. She tries to hold bottles up near the top like it was a boob and the bottle ends up slipping out of her hands. The pouch was nice and light enough for her to hold in her clumsy little way and slurp from out of the package. It was also impressive to see her eat this because recently Cleme decided that she didn't want to eat anything that was the consistency of a puree. Apparently, at 8 months old she is beyond purees now. Even though she has NO teeth.

I wondered out loud to Jeremy if there was anything like these pouches that were reusable. When I got home I Googled "reusable baby food pouch" and saw the two most common options the Babypote and the  Sili Squeeze.  I thought they were kinda spendy for one and the reviews seemed to be a little mixed on them. I put off the idea of buying one. A couple of weeks later we were at a friends house for a play date. At the play date, Clementine was served some herbal tea in a baby bottle that had a Green Sprout sippy cup nipple replacing the previous baby bottle nipple. Seeing that put the idea in my brain to Frankenstein my own pouch feeder somehow.

I had remembered seeing a foldable water bottle a year or so ago, but couldn't remember where. I thought that the foldable water bottle could work as one of these pouches somehow if  I could get a straw lid or something for it. I came home to research it on the internet. I quickly found the name of the water bottles I had seen- Vapur. Then I Googled Vapur + baby puree. Nothing came up. I was really hoping someone had already done the work for me and would say what kind of bottle lid converter would work on the Vapur bottle. No luck. After more research I found these Gerber Spill Proof Water Bottle Spouts. Long story short, as you can see from the photos above, these two work great together! I poured in a jar of Earth's Best Mango Peach and Cleme slurped it up and because the lid has a control valve there is no leaking! The Vapur bottles are dishwasher safe and you can freeze them too! Just thought I would share in case anyone else has the same idea and wonders if it would work!

6 comments:

  1. Reading this was like reading my own thoughts exactly for months. Those squeeze fruity/veggie things are so useful to bring on outings but wasteful and expensive.
    I saw those vapur containers at Whole Foods and wondered if they came slightly smaller. Anyhow you read my mind. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you clean the inside of the pouch? We are very interested in making this work for our little one.

      Delete
  2. Similar idea here: www.littlegreenpouch.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike- although my son is spoiled/I wanted him to drink every last drop so I held it for him. Maybe the spout would make it easier. Thanks for posting, I'll have to try those other caps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a great idea and I came across this post because I was looking for an inexpensive alternative to the sili reusable pouches.

    So how much did this all come out to be? Was it cheaper and how well do the bigger "water bottle" pouches work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try these. They are easy to fill and clean. www.Squooshi.com

    ReplyDelete