Thursday, September 2, 2010

Zine Symposium 2010

This last weekend was the annual Portland Zine Symposium and Allie and I tabled there with Guapo for the fourth year in a row. Our experience really began days earlier when we busted our butts finishing zines for the event, as well as reprinting some of our old zines. We also spent a lot of time with good friends Gariet and Orly, helping Orly finish her zine. Friday night we four stayed up until 4am Saturday morning finishing Allie and Orly's zines. It was epic. We started day one of the symposium on only three and a half hours of sleep.

Luckily, the excitement of seeing all our Portland cartoonist and zinester friends and trading our new zines for their new zines, really kept us going. I felt tired but happy all day. Allie had two, and I had four zines for sale. This was only our second year selling our zines. Having more selection really helped sales which in turn made me happy about my zines. Last year I debuted Song Zine #1 and Macky Zine. SZ#1 didn't sell at all and Macky sold less than 10 copies. I felt disappointed. This year, I had 4 and a half different zines. Macky Zine still only sold three copies, but I felt great because my combined sales were 24 zines! SZ#1 had sold zero copies after a year on the Guapo shelves. Song Zine #2 had sold zero copies since hitting the Guapo shelves in February of this year. At the symposium I sold 5 Song Zines! Long story short is that we felt very successful and happy to get our stuff out into the world. Guapo made a satisfying amount of money and we made $104 off of our personal zines.

Here's a picture of Allie and me at our table, taken by zinester and scooterist Karen G.:



Allie's latest zine is She's So Unusual #2 and is about Joan Crawford. My latest zine is called Pet Cemetery: You Were Loved and has 17 obituaries/profiles of all the dead pets I've owned. I made a cheap black and white version of the zine for $2.00 and an expensive color version for $6.00. I wanted to print all the copies in color but couldn't afford the printing cost. Our sales were helped by the fact that the amazing Multnomah County Library bought 6 copies each of our two new zines as well as 6 more of Allie's She's So Unusual #1 (about Cyndi Lauper). They bought Gariet's awesome diary comic Don't Stop Me Now #1 and Orly's hilarious autobio zine Backstage Past #1, so look for all of those soon.

The Symposium ended Sunday and afterwards we went to Backspace for the closing part, where we saw Fun Yeti kick out the jams (band members are friends Gariet, Orly, Jesse, and Shea).

It was such a fun weekend, I can't wait for next year. The event inspired me to get it together and pump out more zines, especially the Beach Boys series I've been struggling with for the last couple years.
JT

No comments:

Post a Comment