Friday, December 4, 2009

I have officially written a mediocre novel!

I finished my novel! I busted my butt over the holiday weekend, catching up and then getting ahead so that I could finish the thing a day early and not have to worry about it Monday, when I was at work. It's almost 51,000 words long. It's 200 pages. I couldn't think of what to call it so I jokingly submitted it as We Are The Robots!, a line from a Kraftwerk song. My book is about growing up and building robots. It's not too great, but I am looking forward to revising it--there's some good stuff mixed in there with all the crap.

For now, I am focused on finishing up the 2009 Year In Review Zine--I'm going to get this one done on time. I'll have the writing done this weekend, maybe even the whole thing (fingers crossed).

In other news...

We saw a free preview screening of Wes Anderson's new movie The Fantastic Mr. Fox. It was great. The animation was incredibly charming.

We had Thanksgiving with friends Jesse, Andrice, Gariet, and Orly. It was a delicious meal. Allie made brussel sprouts, pumpkin cheesecake, and cranberry sauce (with apples and jalapeno in it).

I went and saw Former Ghosts play again on December 1st. The whole band couldn't make it for the show--it was just the lead singer/songwriter playing keyboards along with programmed music. Still, it was an amazing performance--too bad he was an opening band and was only able to play six songs. I can't recommend this band enough. If you like emotional music and have a healthy, broad musical appetite, you will like this band. I took my friend John to the show. He had never heard of Former Ghosts but still had a great time. Buy the Former Ghosts album and even more importantly--see them live if you have a chance.

For December, my friend Spencer and I are doing a book club sort of thing. We're both reading Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs. Then, when we run into each other at work, we talk about the book. This is especially helpful in the case of Naked Lunch because the thing is half-gibberish. I'm enjoying the writing, but am not yet sold on the rest of it. I'd like to do more book club stuff in the future

Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment