Wednesday, November 11, 2009

NaNo Update and Fires Down the Street

I thought I'd take a moment to give you an update on my NaNoWriMo book. I'm still plugging away but the thing is getting more and more difficult. When I started, I thought to myself, 'This thing is pretty good!' A few days later the honeymoon was over. It's not easy coming up with all the plot details on the fly and even worse not being able to revise them or spend too much time thinking about them. The ultimate goal for this challenge is to write a 50,000 word novel by the end of November 30th. That means you must maintain an average of 1,6667 words a day. This isn't so bad, until you actually have a busy day, or are really not enjoying the part of the book you are writing. By Friday November 6th, I had actually streaked a full day ahead on my word count. On the weekend, I squandered it all and ended up just breaking even. I stayed even on my word count until last night when I decided to throw caution to the wind and go over to a friend's house for Poker Night instead of finishing my daily dose of storytelling. I hope I can catch up easily but I'm planning to take a couple days off in the near future if it comes to that. Part of me has been wanting to quit the challenge, since I'm not even enjoying the story lately, it's really hard to keep up with, and the finish line is so far off. But really, I hate quitting. There's no way I am going to give up on this, barring some sort of disaster.

Speaking of disasters, yesterday at Guapo Allie noticed a constant stream of fire-trucks zooming up the street. Then she noticed a large plume of smoke coming from the direction of our house. 'Is that by our house?' she fantasized. 'It couldn't be.' Well it turns out it was the school just four houses down from where we live. The Marysville K-8 Elementary burnt to the ground last night just 70 yards or so from our house. No one was seriously hurt, which is the most important thing, but it was still so sad. All summer and early fall they were remodeling the playground. They tore out all the asphalt, put in new jungle gyms, a covered basketball court, and more. The school seemed so much more shiny and new. Now it's just a shell (but I believe the new playground came out fine). This morning there were still news vans parked in front of our house and the end of our street is still blocked off. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Here's a video of the school burning--it only shows one corner of the fire, the full thing was much larger.



Here's a link to a news article, with more videos.

Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment