Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Our Fourth of July Weekend

We had a great Fourth of July weekend. I'm always trying to balance work and laziness, productivity and leisure and this weekend was a perfect blend.

Friday we slept in, as I had the day off from my office and we had friends covering at Guapo. We worked hard on the house all day and actually did so much that Allie commented that, "This is the most we've ever gotten done in one day."
My big project was organizing the garage. I also started emptying our house of junk in preparation for the floor project.

Saturday I slept in again (yes!) and then dug a big hole in the back yard to make a fire pit.
We ended up having a semi-impromptu barbecue at our house Saturday so I did a lot of weird stuff like this in preparation. Eighteen of our friends ended up coming to the barbecue. Here I am at the pit, building a fire to start once it gets dark:


I had the idea to set up our 8-bit Nintendo outside so people could play games on it. We couldn't get many of them to work so we ended up playing a lot of Jeopardy. Here I am beating Gariet and Jesse while Orly looks on in awe:


The fire pit was a big success and I'm looking forward to having more outdoor fires. We made a lot of S'mores around the fire.


Here we are lighting sparklers:

Eventually it was just Allie, me and four of our friends. We set up two tents in the backyard and camped out there overnight by the dying fire.

Sunday we all had breakfast together (Allie made French Toast and bacon) before going our separate ways. I spent a lot of time cleaning up the post party mess. I did three loads of dishes


and then relaxed the rest of the day. We watched the nearly 3 hour movie The Aviator about the early life of Howard Hughes. It was really good and I've been spending a lot of time reading up on him since.

JT

No comments:

Post a Comment