Friday, July 24, 2009

Catching Up, Also: We made zines!

Life is good. Oiuja's on my lap meowing. I'm listening to Smog's Supper album. We had a nice dinner with friends. It's almost midnight, but I can't resist doing a blog update. We've been extremely busy with no time for rest these last couple weeks. There's been so many blogs I wanted to do but no time with which to do them in.

I finally finished removing all the carpet from the house. August 3 we're having the floors redone and we need to pack everything up by then. We're only a third of the way done with that.

Here's some final before and after shots:


I can't wait to post the ultimate "after" shots, when these floors are totally redone. We've been planning this project for three years and it'll feel great to check it off our to-do list.

We joined the IPRC (Independent Publishing Resource Center) and took an Intro to Letterpress class last weekend. This is where you grab lead letters and load them up backwards one by one, then put them into a press which you hand ink. I dunno, it's hard to describe but it's really thrilling to learn such a tactile and historic craft. We made business cards for the store but hope to get a lot more projects done.

We also just made it through our personal "zine challenge." We've been vending as Guapo for a few years at the annual Portland Zine Symposium. After last year's symposium, we promised ourselves we would make our own zines by the next symposium. Today was day one of the 2009 zine symposium and we met our goal. I made two zines, one is the first issue of a zine of analytical essays about my favorite songs. Issue one is about Bill Callahan's song "Eid Ma Clack Shaw." I previously threatened to post this essay on this blog, but have since decided it was too esoteric for blogging. Instead I made a little booklet of it. Issue two will be about a Will Oldham song and issue three about a Beach Boys song. I did a second, more accessible zine, this one about our cat Macky. It was especially satisfying getting this one (which is all drawings) done as Macky has really been ailing lately and he may not be around to be our cute little cat much longer.

Last night I stayed up until midnight helping Allie finish her zine which is called "She's So Unusual." This is the first of a series about women who have inspired Allie. Each issue will feature personal reminiscences, related crafts, and factoids. The first issue is dedicated to the artist who inspired the zine title, Cindy Lauper. It's a really cool zine and I'm proud of her for squeaking it out. When we were working at the symposium today, she was actually putting the final touches to it, including carving a stamp of Cindy's face, stamping a cover made out of wall paper samples, and die-cutting a page for you to put your fingers through to make a picture of Cindy dance.

I'll post pictures of our zines shortly and give you a full update on the symposium. I've got to shower now and do some chores before getting to bed.

JT

No comments:

Post a Comment