Tuesday, June 30, 2009

More weekend adventures plus the best concert ever!

Another busy weekend is over and done with. This last one was an unusual one for us as we spent most of it apart. Megan was out of town, so Saturday Allie worked the morning shift at Guapo while I slept in and watched Alphaville. Then I came in at 1230pm to work the afternoon shift while she went home to work on crafts and watch Bride Wars. After I closed the store up at 700pm, I headed out to a goodbye party for one of my old co-workers. She's moving to Indiana to become a lawyer.

Sunday we worked the morning shift at Guapo (800am to 1100am) and then worked around the house. We've tentatively committed to getting our wood floors refinished in late July, which means we've got to start packing up the house ASAP. I stuffed the car with things to take to Goodwill and the recycle dump. It was so full that Allie had to ride with a small TV on her lap. We recycled 4 old TVs, a broken oil radiator heater, and a satellite dish.

I finally finished up cleaning the back yard and patio (that means no more weeds in the flower beds, no more wild bushes, no more junk and dead grass all over the patio, and a freshly cut lawn) while Allie made us chicken curry for dinner. Our friends Graham and Tracy came over to eat with us. We had a nice time before Graham and I jetted off to go see Bill Callahan (formerly of Smog) play at the Aladdin Theater.

Remember my blog about how I was going to sell a bunch of CDs? Well, I sold 11 and was able to get less than two in return. I got 20 bucks for my used CDs and spent another 8 to buy the Chain in the Gang album and Bill Callahan's latest, Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle.

The Chain in the Gang album is great fun, but the Bill Callahan album is sublime. He just keeps getting better with age. Every new album has a few new masterpieces and this one is no exception. I'm so obsessed with one new song in particular, that I've been writing an analytical essay on it in my spare time, which I hope to finish and post here soon.

Callahan's music these days is still rock but with hints of country, folk, and frequently Krautrock style rhythms. His lyrics are about relationships, god, and death. In a way, he's like a meaner, more depressed Bob Dylan. It's not so much their music and lyrics, but their brilliance of expression, timelessness, articulateness, and depth that I see them having in common. I get the same feeling listening listening to a Dylan song like "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" as I do listening to Callahan's best songs.

Anyhow, my anticipation for the show was high and it did not disappoint. I had never seen Bill Callahan (or Smog) live before and was totally blown away. I really felt like I was watching a future legend. He was a fairly quiet and understated performer, but his music, delivery, singing, and lyrics were so strong that I was totally captivated. It was easily one of the best concerts I've seen. My friend Graham was equally thrilled by the whole experience and the whole audience seemed to really enjoy themselves.

It was such a busy weekend that I barely had time to relax. Thankfully, I've got this Friday off from both my jobs and we have all Sunday off. We only have to work an extra short day Saturday, as we'll be closing the store early.

Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment