Thursday, May 7, 2009

Maisie Kukoc Award

Last month was the annual Stumptown Comics Fest. You can read Jeremy's blog about it here.
Or you can read our other blog about it here. The annual party we have been throwing at our store is always such fun. The main event of our party is to hand out the Maisie Kukoc Award for Comics Inspiration. I think this is an amazing award that our friend, Jesse Reklaw, has organized. To go along with this award you need a trophy. Previous trophy incarnations have included:

Money in a envelope:
(2006 winner Kaz Strzepek)


A plaque:
(2007 Andy Hartzell)

And
a stuffed trophy:
(2008 winner Sarah Glidden)

Well, this year Greg Means (who has been in charge of the trophy production) asked if I would like to make the trophy. I thought he was joking. Apparently he was serious. So I thought about it for awhile and eventually came up with a plan for it. I decided I wanted to make a model of the logo from the "King-Cat" comics.
Here is what I ended up with:

I have always wanted to try needle felting, but for some reason it is hard for me to make or try new things unless there is a solid reason to. Making this trophy gave me my chance to try out needle felting.

I borrowed a couple of books from the library about needle felting. I eventually ended up buying the one I like the best, called "Wool Pets." I also purchased a beginning needle felting kit from Amazon that included three different needles, a foam block, and an assortment of wool roving. I assembled the throne from various wood bits and pieces I put together from Jo-Ann's Craft Store. Then I painted it all gold and had a brass plate made from the trophy store (that just happens to be down the block from our store).
Here is the winner, Vanessa Davis, and the trophy. I was so glad that Vanessa ended up winning!

1. Because I LOVE Vanessa's comics.
2. Because I knew Vanessa would really appreciate the trophy.
3. Because if it was possible to clone a Vanessa of my very own to hang out with in Portland (she lives all of the way down in Cali) I would.

At least my trophy gets to hang out with her all of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment